Saturday, October 16, 2010

Slow Cooker Beef & Vegetable Stew

Seriously people, this is probably the BEST stew I have ever had.  And I don't really care for stew.  But ohhhhhhhmigoodness this stew is tasty!

It calls for honey and prunes...yes I said prunes...but trust me, it's delicious.  It's a perfect balance of sweet and savory and I love it!  The best part?  Only 8 points for a 1.5 c serving.  That is huge!  I hope you like it as much as I did!

Slow Cooker Beef & Vegetable Stew

1 c. chopped onion
3 lbs raw, lean beef brisket, cut into bite-size chunks
2 large garlic cloves, minced
2 medium sweet potatos, peeled & cut into bite-size chunks
1/2 lbs baby carrots, cut in half
8 small uncooked new potatos cut in quarters
16 pitted prunes
4 Tbs fresh lemon juice
5 Tbs honey, divided
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1 large can beef broth

Place onion, beef, garlic, sweet potatos, carrots, new potatos, prunes, 2 Tbs of lemon juice and 3 Tbs of honey in a 5 - 6 quart slow cooker.  Add salt, pepper, cinnamon and broth; stir well.

Cook on low setting for 7 - 8 hours.  About 5 minutes before serving, stir in remaining 2 Tbs of lemon juice and remaining 2 Tbs of honey; cover and cook on low for 5 minutes. 

(Just a side note, before I served this to my family, I spooned out the large prune pieces.  Some of the prunes just cook right in, but I removed what I could so my kids didn't say, "Ewwww!".  They didn't know the prunes were there and loved it.)

This recipe was found on the Weight Watchers website.

No comments:

Post a Comment